IPHI features a proton beam with the following characteristics: E ≤ 3 MeV, 1 mA ≤ Ipeak ≤ 100 mA, duty cycle from 1 ms / 1 Hz up to continuous mode. In addition, the facility can be used as a neutron source at low flux (109 – 1010 n/s).
The facility can be used to:
- develop and test high intensity beam diagnostics or beam devices,
- perform thermal studies at high power,
- test beam intercepting targets,
- irradiate samples with protons or neutrons,
- optimise neutron moderators or test neutron diagnostics.
The test bench is equipped with an ECR ion source connected to an accelerating column mounted on a compact high voltage platform biased up to 100 kV. A dedicated extraction system allows the production of mono-charged light ion beams (typically Hydrogen ions with 80% H+, 15% H2+ and 5% H3+). The beam is then transported through a dual solenoid beam line in which several ports are available for beam diagnostics or experiment set-ups. The configuration of the beam line could be easily modified for specific experiment.
CEA - Saclay (France)
For further information please email: AMICI@cea.fr.